Principle and statement of intent
At Bumbles Day Care, we aim to provide a stimulating, safe environment for all children. We are committed to delivering the highest standard of care and to foster good relationships with all parents and carers. We aim to provide a service that is accountable to parents and to encourage parental involvement we welcome all comments and suggestions to help us improve our group.
We believe parent’s views and concerns should be respected and acknowledged, and understand that on occasion circumstances may result in a parent or carer wishing to make a complaint. Our standard for complaint handling takes into account the following publications:
Getting it Right – standards of practice for the protection of children and young people, published by Volunteer Now third edition Aug 2009, updated Feb 2011 (funded by DHSSPS) – standard 6 states that “Everyone has a right to complain.”
Our Duty to Care (ODTC) – Principles of Good Practice for the protection of children and young people published by Volunteer Now, fifth edition 2009, updated April 2011 (supported by DHSSPS)
We aim to bring all concerns about the running of Bumbles Day Care to a prompt, satisfactory and amicable conclusion for all of the parties involved.
All complaints will be recorded in our Complaints Register, held in the office and available for inspection by the Early Years Social Services Team.
Stage 1 – Making an informal complaint
If something happens about which you are unhappy and wish to express your concern or dissatisfaction, opportunities for parents to pass on their opinions and remarks about any aspect of our service are available:-
- through informal chats with any member of staff on a daily basis
- through the Bumbles post box, located in the entrance hall
- by requesting a prearranged appointment to talk with the Manager or other specified member of staff, in private, at your own convenience
- by requesting a prearranged appointment to talk to the owner, on Bumbles premises, at your own convenience
We hope that any concerns raised can be sorted out informally and at an early stage using the channels listed above.
Stage 2 – Making a formal complaint
If we are unable to reach a satisfactory outcome, or if the problem recurs, the parent/carer moves to Stage 2 of the procedure by putting their concerns or complaint in writing to either Bumbles Manager / Owner – Patricia Maxwell, or one of the Deputy Managers, Vicky Stewart or Kerrie Burke.
Once a complaint has been put in writing the following action will take place:
- The Complaints Register will be updated to record a formal complaint has been received.
- If the owner has not already been involved she will be advised of the nature of the complaint and that the manger is investigating.
- If the complaint concerns the behaviour of a staff member, they will be advised of the details of the complaint.
- Within 7 days of receiving the complaint, the Owner/Manager will confirm in writing to the parent/carer an outline of:
- Who will be investigating the complaint
- Timescale for resolving the complaint
- Actions to be taken
- Next steps if still dissatisfied.
- Within 28 days of receiving the complaint, the parent/carer to receive a report that will include:
- Results of complaint investigation
- Apology if it is found that Bumbles was in any way at fault
- Any proposals of action to be undertaken to reduce risk of same problem occurring again.
- If parent/carer satisfied:
- Complaint closed and Complaints Register updated.
- If parent/carer not satisfied:
- Agree 28 days time limit to decide if they wish to proceed to Stage 3.
Stage 3 – Attending a Review Panel
Once a parent/carer has made know their intention to have their complaint brought to a review panel, the panel must meet within 28 days, come to a decision and if necessary make recommendations for further action.
- The review panel will be convened appropriately, taking into consideration the nature of the complaint
- The parent/carer and anyone with direct interest will be invited to talk to the review panel. The parent/carer can have a friend present during any stage of the complaints procedure.
- The review panel’s recommendations must be given to the parent/carer, Bumbles’ Owner, Manager and any member of staff involved, if relevant, within 7 days. These recommendations will be final.
- The Complaints Register will be updated.
Parents/carers can also choose to make a complaint about standards of quality of care direct to:
Early Years Team
585-587 Crumlin Road