Principle and statement of intentThis policy has been formed following the guidelines and principles in the:
- Our Duty to Care (ODTC) - Principles of Good Practice for the protection of children and young people published by Volunteer Now, fifth edition 2009, updated April 2011 (supported by DHSSPS)
- Department of Health & Social Services NI – Childminding & Day Care for children under age 12 Minimum Standards published July 2012.
ProceduresOn acceptance and registration with Bumbles Day Care, we ask for consent to either take photographs or video the child/children. Every parent has the right to refuse this request, in which case the child/children must not be photographed by any member of staff, by a parent, or by any outsider without the express permission for that occasion of the parent with whom Bumbles Day Care has a contract. Photographs/videos will be used in Bumbles Day Care for displays and to show the children's achievements so they feel valued. Occasionally we do have a professional photographer and we will inform every parent of the event and ask whether they wish their child’s photo to be taken or not. The photographer will be from a reputable company and they will hold the copyright to the pictures taken.
Use of cameras and recording equipment
- Only designated Bumbles Day Care I-Pads to be used to take any photograph or video within the setting or on outings.
- Images taken must be deemed suitable without putting the child/children in any compromising positions that could cause embarrassment or distress.
- Bumble’s I-Pads are all username and password protected, and are used to link to My Nursery Pal management system. Photographs of children partaking in Bumbles activities can be uploaded to their personal My Nursery Pal files for parents to view, (these are all also username and password protected).
- Staff can print photographs directly to the office printer for use in room displays and to include in a child’s Learning Diary.
- I-pads will have all photographs erased weekly.
- If a slide show is created and displayed on a computer this will be password protected.
- Under no circumstances must cameras of any kind be taken into the bathrooms without prior consultation with the Manager/Deputy Manager
- If photographs need to be taken in a bathroom, i.e. photographs of the children washing their hands, then the Manager or Co-ordinator must be asked first and staff be supervised whilst carrying out this kind of activity. At all times the camera must be placed in a prominent place where it can be seen
- We will sometimes use photographs of children in Bumbles group activities on media platforms, such as Facebook, but we will only show the backs of heads or blurred faces, and only with Parental consent.