Principle and statement of intent
If you have children under six or disabled children aged under eighteen or if you are a carer of an adult who is in need of care in certain specified situations you will have the right to apply to work flexibly, providing you satisfy certain eligibility conditions. You do not have an automatic right to work flexibly under statute but Bumbles Day Care will give your application serious consideration.
In order to make a request you must meet the following conditions:-
- Be an employee
- Have been employed continuously for 26 weeks at the date the application is made.
- Not be an agency worker
- Not have made another application to work flexibly under the right during the past 12 months
- Be the parent of a child aged under six, or under eighteen where disabled.
- Have responsibility for the upbringing of the child and be making the application to enable you to care for the child.
- Be either:
- The mother, father, adopter, guardian, special guardian or foster parent of the child; or
- Married to or the partner of the child’s mother, father, adopter, guardian, special guardian, or a foster parent
Carer of adult who is in need of care
- Must be or expect to be caring for a spouse, partner, civil partner or relative; or
- If not the spouse, partner or a relative, live at the same address as the adult in need of care.
- A relative for this purpose is a mother, father, adopter, guardian, parent-in-law, son, son-in-law, daughter, daughter-in-law, brother, brother-in-law, sister, sister-in-law, uncle, aunt or grandparent. Step-relatives and half-blood relatives are also included.
The initial onus will be on you to make a considered application in writing. You should specify the flexible working pattern applied for and the grounds on which you meet the eligibility criteria ie. as a parent or a carer. Your application should: –
- Explain what effect, if any, you think the proposed change would have on Bumbles Day Care and how, in your opinion, any such effect might be dealt with.
- State the date on which it is proposed the change should become effective.
- State whether a previous application has been made to Bumbles Day Care and, if so when it was made.
- Be dated.
You are only entitled to make one application per year and accepted applications will mean a permanent change to your terms and conditions of employment.
A Manager/HR Representative of Bumbles Day Care will arrange a meeting with you within 28 days of receipt of your application to explore the desired work pattern in depth and to discuss how best it might be accommodated. You may bring a fellow work colleague to this meeting should you so wish.
A Manager/ HR representative will write to you within 14 days of the meeting to advise you of the decision. If the request is accepted, the notification will:
- Include a description of the new working pattern
- State the date from which the new working pattern is to take effect
- Be dated
If a request is rejected, the notification will:
- State the business ground(s) for refusing the application
- Provide a sufficient explanation as to why the business ground(s) for refusal applies in the circumstances
- Provide details of your right to appeal
- Be dated
You have 14 days to appeal in writing after the date of notification of the decision.
If an appeal is made, Bumbles Day Care will arrange an appeal meeting to take place within 14 days after receiving notice of the appeal. You can be accompanied to this appeal hearing and will be informed of the outcome of the appeal in writing within 14 days after the date of the meeting.