Principle & Statement of Intent
Our Equality Policy is inclusive of the whole community of Bumbles Day Care – children, staff, parents/carers, volunteers and visitors, with whom we have engaged and who are actively involved in the setting.
This policy clearly sets out how our practice and policies have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- Advance equality of opportunity.
- Foster good relations between groups.
It is our policy to provide employment equality to all, irrespective of:
- Gender, including gender reassignment.
- Marital or civil partnership status.
- Having or not having dependants.
- Religious belief or political opinion.
- Race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins).
- Sexual orientation.
Bumbles is opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. All job applicants, employees and others who work/volunteer for us will be treated fairly and will not be discriminated against on any of the above grounds. Decisions about recruitment and selection, promotion, training or any other benefit will be made objectively and without unlawful discrimination. Our equal opportunities policy will help all those who work and volunteer for us to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of the workforce will be utilised fully to maximise the efficiency of the organisation.
The policy explains how we aim to listen to and involve children, staff/volunteers and parents/carers and the wider community in achieving better outcomes for our children and young people:
- To eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- To promote equality of access and opportunity within our setting and within our wider community.
- To promote positive attitudes to difference and good relationships between people with different backgrounds, genders, cultures, faiths, abilities and ethnic origins.
- To ensure that equality and inclusive practice are embedded across all aspects of the work of Bumbles Day Care, the Equality Policy refers to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, which includes recognition of a range of educational, well-being, and material outcomes.
Issues relating to adults within the setting can be embraced under these themes and will be reflected in the action plan.
At Bumbles Day Care we demonstrate our commitment to Equal Opportunities by ensuring:
- Meetings – are held with parents/carers for the purpose of ensuring equal access to information and inviting involvement. These are held at times that will allow attendance from as many parents as possible.
- Language and information – written or spoken is clearly communicated to all in as many languages as necessary and possible and that every effort will be made to accommodate individuals who use sign language as a means to communicate.
- Access to everyone – Everyone in the community regardless of religious affiliation, political background, race, culture, linguistic needs, disability, sexual orientation or age is welcome at Bumbles Day Care.
- The Programme/curriculum – will afford respect to all children and ensure that each child’s individuality and potential are recognised, valued and nurtured. Activities on offer will provide children with opportunities to develop in an environment free from prejudice and discrimination, are well planned alongside the children where appropriate, giving the children opportunities to explore, acknowledge and value similarities and differences between themselves and others.
- Resources - All materials are to positively and accurately reflect cultural and racial diversity. These materials should help children to develop their self respect and respect of others, avoiding stereotypes. Boys and girls are to have equal opportunity and should be actively encouraged to use all activities
- Discriminatory behaviour/remarks - Any discrimination (language, behaviour or remarks) by children, parents or staff/volunteers/students is unacceptable at Bumbles Day Care. Discrimination will be positively challenged by supporting the victim and helping those responsible to understand and overcome their prejudices.
- Festivals - At Bumbles Day Care we aim to show respect for, and awareness of all major events in the lives of children and families who attend our Day care and also in the wider community/society. Without indoctrination we aim to acknowledge festivals celebrated by both families in our local community and the wider society through stories, activities, diets, costume and music which reflect the diversity of life.
- Fair Employment – Bumbles Day Care is registered with the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland and follows the principles and guidelines in the Fair Employment & Treatment NI Order (1998) that states it is unlawful to discriminate on the grounds of religious belief and/or political opinion in the fields of employment.
- Children’s rights – At Bumbles Day Care all children will have the opportunity and be actively encouraged to partake in all activities and to use the full range of equipment without recourse to gender stereotyping. The range of activities and play experiences will be designed to provide opportunities for children to begin to understand and respect cultures, languages and celebrations other than their own.